Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Five days left...

I just thought I would write a little bit in my blog to get things rolling since I am going to leave on my big Harley trip on Monday morning. I am just getting everything together and making sure that I have everything that I will need for the THREE MONTHS that I will be gone on this trip. I've had my motorcycle serviced for it's 1,000 mile service and I bought a "T-Bag" (settle down Rick) for the back along with a detachable back rest to attach it to.

I'm going to drive down to Los Angeles on Monday morning and see some friends and then make it to the registration area on Tuesday. I'll get my tent set up and head over to where the Mayor of Rancho Cucamonga is serving us a free dinner. What a nice way to start off a long trip!

Wednesday morning we leave for Washington, DC. I will have ridden from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean in only nine days! The only downside is that I will be going there in such a hurry that I won't be able to stop and see as many things or people that I would have liked to see. On the upside, the RFTW (RunForTheWall.org) group is paying for some of our expenses and lining up camping which is usually free!

Once I get to Washington, DC, I will get together with Chris Hoven who works for a congressman there. I went to college at Hamline with Chris and Chris had the dorm room next to mine his freshman year. I did my best to corrupt him but it didn't work.

On Saturday and Sunday in DC there will be a lot of events going on with "Rolling Thunder" which is there to remember the MIA/POW soldiers and draw attention to them. It is a pretty big deal and there will be quite a few motorcycles there participating in the event from all over the country.

From there I will work my way up to Kinderhook, NY where I will see Keith and Rick and a bunch of other people that I know from visiting Keith.

That's just a start of what may be a three month, 12,500 mile motorcycle trip. I hope that my ass doesn't get too sore from all that riding!