Sunday, May 17, 2009

Burlington, CO to Kansas City, MO

Today was a long day. I rode over 400 miles. It was my longest day so far. The group stopped in Junction City, KS, but I rode about another 100 miles and stayed at Dave Mische's new Condo. It was really nice and it was very nicely decorated as well. Nice touch Dave! It was nice to sleep in a real bed and take a hot shower. I hadn't slept in a real bed since May 10th in Las Vegas.

We started the day with breakfast at the Burlington, CO VFW. It was one of the best meals of the trip so far and definitely the best breakfast. Most of the riders said the same thing. It was scrambles eggs, hash brown, bacon and sausage and fresh blueberry muffins. Hats off the them for doing such a great job with everything, especially breakfast!

A few miles after we left Burlington, we were in Kansas. Burlington is only about 5 or 10 miles from the Kansas border.



Welcome to Kansas!

One of the things I was looking forward to was having lunch in Oakley, KS. I have driven by it on the highway, but I have never stopped there. Today we had lunch at the VFW. They provided hamburgers and chips and drinks.



Lunch at the VFW in Oakley, KS

That was very nice, but the highlight of the stop was driving by the house where my Sister, Lisa, and her family lived for a couple years. I had to take a picture to show Lisa what the house looks like now.



Lisa and Mike's house in Oakley, KS

I stopped in Junction City, KS with the group. We had a really nice Lasagna dinner. They even had Popsicles for desert. Everyone laughed when they brought them around, but enjoyed them thoroughly. I ate dinner with Larry and Michelle McAndress. Larry works for the LA City Fire Department and he always comments on my LA "County" Fire Department shirt. I told him it was just a free shirt, but I think it is a nice one as well.



Dinner at the Geary County Convention Center



Michelle and Larry McAndress

As soon as I was finished with dinner, I hopped back onto my Motorcycle and headed toward Dave's. I got there about 9:00 and I just relaxed. Dave and I chatted for a while and they we both just went to bed because we both were getting up early. It was nice to see Dave again. Sorry Dave! I forgot to take a picture to put it in my blog.

Tomorrow, we are on to St. Louis, MO. It's been three years since I've been in St. Louis.