Friday, May 22, 2009

A quiet day in Marietta, OH (NCAA - Day 2)

Today I slept in again. Hamline didn’t have anyone running in the meet today. Derall King doesn’t throw until tomorrow and Brandon and the 4x400 don’t run until tomorrow’s finals.




My new tent at the camp site

On the way to the track meet I stopped at some of the covered bridges that were on the way to Marietta. Highway 26 has a few covered bridges along it and they have been restored. You can even drive across some of them. While I was looking at them, I ran across some distance runners from Luther College. This was the college that my old roommate, Paul Quere, went to college. They were there for the track meet and they were exploring the area before they went to the meet.




Some distance runners I met from Luther College




Me in front of one of the covered bridges




I stopped at the first camp site which was closest to town and talked to a guy named Heath. He was camping in the first camp site and I asked him if I could camp on the other part of his site later that night. He said that was fine. He said he would make sure that there was a spot for me. I thought that was very nice of him. I thanked him a lot.


At least I know that I won’t have to drive twenty miles to the last camp site like I did the night before. It took forever since the roads were so curvy. I don’t think I got much over 35 MPH on the way there last night.


The 200 was pretty fast. It took 21.77 to make the finals. I think I would have had a pretty hard time making the finals.


The 400 was also pretty fast, but my time in the prelims would have made the finals this year also. It took 48.05 to make the finals. The only one from the MIAC to make the finals was Patrick Jager. His time was 48.02.


While I was there, I met Brandon’s Mom who I sat with during a lot of the meet. She was very nice and I had a fun time talking to her. I saw Brandon also for a few minutes. He was there to see the Steeplechase which a friend was running in.


I also sat with Patrick Jager’s Dad for part of the meet. He was a nice guy also. I introduced myself and told him that I ran the same stuff 24 years earlier.


The meet was done pretty early and I stopped to get something to eat before I headed back to the camp site. When I got there, Heath wasn’t there, but there was a bunch of kids having a party a few camp sites away. It really didn’t bother me since I am so tired. It looks like it will be another early night.