Sunday, June 28, 2009

Arbor Vitae, WI to Brule, WI

Today I left Morgan's cabin to head to Tony Kleutsch's house in Brule, WI.  I packed up my motorcycle and said goodbye to my Mom and Dad.  They are heading off to spend a few days at Skip Wagner's house.

It looked as though it will be a cool, but nice day to ride, so I figured this would be my best day to make a run for Tony Kleutsch's house.

My Dad, my Mom and in outside of Morgan's cabin in Arbor Vitae, WI.

After I left, I decided to head up to Norther Lights Harley-Davidson in Arbor Vitae, WI to check it out.  They were closed, but the Northern Light HOG chapter was having a barbecue and ride.  I didn't get to go inside the dealership and look around, but I did talk to several of the members and find out what they were up to and also tell them about my trip around the country.  They were all very nice, as most Wisconsinites are.  I stayed for about 45 minutes, but even though I would have loved to have stayed and gone on their ride with them, I needed to get going because I wanted to stop by the Tomahawk Harley Plant and get another point for the ABC's of traveling before I head up to Tony's house.

The Northern Lights HOG Chapter having their Barbecue before they went on their ride.
 I stopped along the way and got my "L" for my ABC's of touring in Lincoln County, WI.  My ABC's are coming along pretty good.  I've taken quite a few pictures and I have a lot of points.  I'm not sure if I will be in the top point scorers or not, but it is fun to try.  I think that by my best estimate, I should have over 100 points by the time I'm finished.

The letter "L" for counties on my ABC's of Touring
 I got to Tomahawk, WI and found the Harley Plant.  According to what I read, this is where Harley-Davidson makes all of their fiberglass parts for their motorcycles. (The front ferrings and the saddlebags)  This is another point on my ABC's.
The Tomahawk Harley-Davidson plant for my ABC's of Touring.
 I headed across Highway 8 from Tomahawk.  This took me into Ingram, WI where I got another letter for my ABC's and then to Tony, WI, which is the home of Jim Leonard who went to Flambeau High School, which was one of the schools in our conference when I went to high school in Winter, WI.  He then went on to play at Wisconsin and then on to the NFL where he played with Buffalo and Batimore.  He just signed this spring with the New York Jets for three years.  Not bad for another kid from Northern Wisconsin.

The letter "I" for Cities for my ABC's of Touring
I stopped in Winter, WI to see if I could find anyone I knew since I went to High School here.  I didn't see anyone in town. (There are only 344 people in Winter) I went out to Magnuson's house where I talked to Dale Magnuson, Dean and Keith's brother.  He said they were both up in Hayward, which was on the way to Brule, WI.  I called Keith Magnuson and he said he would be there for a while and I should call them when I got to Hayward.  I told him I would be there in about an hour or so.

I rode up to Hayward on Highway B which runs by Treeland Resorts so I decided to stop and see if Laurie Simon, another one of my classmates from Winter High School, was working.  As it turns out, she had just finished work and was just leaving.  She said she would love to go with me and see Dean and Keith in Hayward.  Laurie followed me in her car since I didn't have any room on my motorcycle and we met Dean and Keith at the McDonald's Parking lot.  We decided to go down the street and have a drink and talk for a while.  We went to Coop's Pizza which was a small, but nice place not too far from the McDonald's.

Dean Magnuson, myself and Keith Magnuson at Coop's Pizza
Laurie did not want her picture taken, so she is the one taking the picture above.

After I stopped and saw everyone, I had to get going to Tony's house because it was still a couple hours before I would get there.  As it turned out, it was more like three hours because I took a wrong turn and it started to drizzle so I had to go much slower than I would if if was dry.

I finally got here about 11:15 and talked to Tony and his wife, Betty for a few minutes.  They went to bed as Tony had to work early the next morning.

I'll get to hang out with them more tomorrow before I get going on my trip again.  It will be nice to spend some time with Tony.  It's been quite a while since I have been able to to that.