Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New Jersey

Today was a really long day. I slept in a little later than I had planned, I was up all night with acid reflux. I still managed to ride through New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New Jersey.


I headed out towards Connecticut and the weather was a little cool today after the rains yesterday. I put on my cold weather clothing and things were good.



The first place that I stopped was the Mark Twain house in Hartford. The house was built in 1877. It was a very large house for the time and had many new things that were only available to the very rich at the time. One of their neighbors was Harriet Beecher Stowe, which I found interesting.



Mark Twain House


From there, I went down to Mystic, CT where I had to stop at Mystic Pizza even though I didn’t see the movie. Now I guess I have to break down and see it.



I had to visit Mystic Pizza since I was in Mystic, CT


I also went over to the Mystic Seaport. It had a bunch of old boats. They were pretty neat. There aren’t that many boats around like those.



Mystic Seaport


I talked to Dan Lundquist, a guy that I went to Hamline with. He said to stop by and see him and spend the night. I decided that with the rain coming, that sounded like a pretty good Idea. I drove over to Rhode Island first, so that I could say that I’ve been there. I stopped in Westerly, RI and rode around for a few minutes. It was a neat little town, but I needed to get going so that I would make it to Dan’s house before it got too late.



It was a nice ride to New Jersey. It got dark about 8:30 and I didn’t get there until about 10:45 so there was a little bit of riding at night, which I don’t like to do, but I was on large interstates or urban roads.


Once I got there, Dan and I talked for a couple hours because neither one of us had to be up early and it looked like rain. I’m going to hang out with Dan tomorrow and go see the Princeton area. It sounds like fun.