Thursday, July 16, 2009

Halfway to Saskatoon...

Today I woke up early so that I could get an early start on my way to Saskatoon and get as much out of the way as I could because it's 630 miles from East Grand Forks to Saskatoon. I wanted to try to get as much out of the way as I can.

Before I left Grand Forks, I stopped by a State Farm Office to see if I needed anything special in Canada. They said my insurance was good in Canada, but I needed a special Canadian Insurance card while I was there. The agent had a few and gave me one so I would be good at the border. The drive up to the border was not very long. It only took about 90 minutes to get there. It was warm, but really windy on the way up.


Some flags showing how windy it is.

Once I got there, it only took about 30 minutes to go through customs.


Waiting in line at the Canadian Customs station

When I got across the border, I stopped at the Manitoba information station. That's where I left the note that I was in Canada.


Manitoba Information Center

I headed up to Winnipeg and had lunch. I forgot to get some Canadian Money before I came up here. I guess it looks like credit cards all the way. I ate lunch at McDonald's and headed on my way to Saskatoon. The wind was even worse after I left Edmonton. I switched to my full-face helmet because it was so cold and windy.

There were nothing but farm after farm. One of the things that they were growing that looked nice was Safflowers. There was yellow for as far as you could see.


Safflower fields

On the way, we got stuck for about 20 minutes waiting for the construction people to open the road. On the way, I talked to "The Stop Sign Chick" (That's what she said to call her) who thought it was interesting where I was going on my motorcycle. She said, "... and I'm just stuck here holding this sign!"


"The Stop Sign Chick"


A little while later, I got behind a house that they were moving and it took up two lanes. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but the road was only two lanes wide. It was only going about 20 miles and hour and I was behind it for almost half an hour. Finally, the road changed to three lanes and we could go around it on the shoulder. I guess it's just not my day for making good time on my trip.


Just my luck!

I finally made it into Saskatchewan, so I had to take a picture for my ABC's. I'm up to at least 85 points so far. That would put me in 77th place for last year. I'm sure it will take a lot to get in the top 10.


Welcome to Saskatchewan!

Because of all the delays and the wind being so bad, I only made it to Foam Lake, Saskatchewan. I ended up camping in a regional park. They had a place for camping and it was only $8. It was OK, but it only had a rest room and no utilities. I guess you get what you pay for! I should be able to make it to Saskatoon by the early afternoon tomorrow.