Monday, July 27, 2009

The Icefields Parkway

Today was probably one of the best riding days that I have had since I started the trip. I slept in a little later than I wanted to so I didn't get going until about 10:15. I met Mickey in town because he wanted to get a cup of coffee before we went on the ride. When I got to town, Nick said that he didn't want to go on the ride with me because it was a little late to go all the way up to Jasper and back. I decided to go by myself anyway.

I headed up Highway 1 towards Lake Louise. It was a little cooler than I thought, but I decided not to go back and get my cold weather stuff. I was hoping that it would get warmer as the day progressed. I was mostly right... It started to turn into a beautiful day for riding.

The first overlook I stopped at I met some bikers from Montreal. They were riding across Canada on Harleys. I stopped and talked to them and I thought their trip was as interesting as mine.



The riders from Montreal, QB

The scenery of the ride was as spectacular as everyone had said. Here are a few pictures from the early part of my ride.


The first glacier that I stopped at was Crows Foot Glacier. It was pretty big. They said that it was at least 50 feet thick. All I know it that it was big!

The rest of the pictures are pretty much in reverse order, but I wanted to get them up so everyone can see them. I'll update the blog with commentary as soon as I can.

Thanks! Enjoy the pictures.