Sunday, July 26, 2009

A rainy day in Banff

Today I slept in at the campground. I didn't get up until almost 9:30. It was really nice to sleep in. I finally got caught up on my sleep. I didn't sleep well in Calgary because the campsite was so noisy.

A lot of the people were leaving the campground since it is Sunday. I guess they are heading back to Calgary to go to work tomorrow.

It was overcast so Nick and I decided that we were going to just hang around Banff in case it rained.

On the way into Banff, we stopped at Tunnel Mountain.  It got it's name not because there is a tunnel through the mountain, but because they had originally planned to have one and the name stuck even when they decided not to build the tunnel.  It was a very scenic view.


It was only a ten minute ride into town from the camp site. Nick decided he was going to get a cup of coffee and I decided that I would check the radar and also my e-mail until he was done with his coffee.



I went back to the Fox Hotel and got on the computer. 



 It looked like the rain was going to be here any minute. Not a good day to ride.


A few minutes later Nick got there and asked about the weather. Before I got to even tell him what the radar looked like, it started raining. It looked as though it was only going to rain for about an hour or so. We decided to just stay at the hotel and wait it out. The lobby was very nice and even had a fire in the fireplace which made it warm and cozy in spite of the rain.




While we were there, we met a couple from Calgary, John and Susan.  They had ridden to Banff for a couple days and were about to leave when the rains hit.  Since they were on a motorcycle, they decided to wait until the storm passed.  We talked to them a little while before they went on their way.  What a nice couple!



After the rain stopped, we headed out to ride around Banff.