Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Radium Hot Springs, BC to Pincher Creek, AB

Today started off really nice. I got up early after a nice nights sleep in a DRY sleeping bag. It was so much nicer to not have to sleep in one that was dry. Even though my tent was still wet when I put it up, it was completely dry when I woke up this morning. It was so warm last night that I was able to sleep with only the screens on the doors. I still had the rainfly closed, but it was one of the nicest nights I have had so far to camp.

This was a very nice camp. I guess it should be for $28 a night. They had showers with hot and cold running water in the rest rooms.

They also had group eating area with large wood stoves that were enclose by glass. It was just an all around nice place considering that there wasn't electricity or water in the camp sites.

On the way out, we stopped to see the view. The campground overlooked the whole town. They had the best view in the entire town.

The view from the campground

We gassed up our motorcycles in town and then headed out towards Cranbrook, BC where we would head in different directions. We stopped in Fairmont Hot Springs, BC to stop for a cup of coffee and to check my e-mail. That was a quick stop but it was a nice little town.

John, who also has a blog showing his four-week motorcycle trip (John's Road Trip), rode with me until Cranbrook, BC.

The ride to Cranbrook was also very scenic. It had lots of interesting mountains and winding roads.


We arrived in Cranbrook, where we stopped at the Harley dealer for a few minutes and we talked with another couple who was also on a long ride. They were just on their way back to Calgary to get more supplies and then head on to Sturgis.

We ate lunch and then John headed off west towards Vancouver and I went southeast towards glacier National Park. I started to go through the mountains again and it was a nice ride.


When I came to Sparwood, BC, I saw a sign that said, "World's biggest truck". I just had to stop and see what it was. It was definitely big. I'm not sure if it was the world's biggest, but who knows. Anyway, it was pretty impressive.

After Sparwood, I went through Crowsfoot Pass which cuts across the continental Divide and into Alberta. Once I got through the pass, you could definitely tell that I was back into the prairies.

I made it to Pincher Creek and it was beginning to get dark and I saw a campground. I decided to stop and stay the night here. I wasn't going to try to dive later into the night after seeing all those deer right before sundown last night.

Tomorrow, I'm going to Waterton Lakes National Park and Glacier National Park where I'll ride on Going to The Sun Road