Monday, July 13, 2009

St. Peters, MO to Marion, IA

This morning started out slowly.  The weather looked like I was going to get caught in a rainstorm in Northern Missouri or Southern Iowa.  I also looked like the storm would pass fairly quickly and I would be able to ride into Bill and Anita's house in Marion, IA right behind the storm and not get wet.

I decided to wait a few hours and see how the storm progressed.  It moved across Missouri just as I suspected, so I finally got on my way to Iowa at about 11am.

Left Lisa's house and headed over to Wentzville, MO and then headed north on Highway 61.  The weather looked pretty good, but the wind started to kick up a little bit.  by the time I got into Iowa, the wind was starting to blow pretty hard into my face.

For those of you that have never rode a motorcycle, going into the wind is tougher than riding with no wind.  If there is a 30 MPH wind into your face and you are going 60 MPH, then there is a 90 MPH wind in your face.  That's the quite a wind to be riding unprotected.

I finally got into Bill and Anita's house about 6:30pm and then Bill threw some burgers on the grill.  I have to say that for something so simple, they were some of best burgers that I have had in quite a long time!  Kudos to the chef!!

Bill and Anita grilling up some burgers

We sat around after dinner and talked about what we had been up to and we also talked about the "good old days" in Winter, WI.  It was great to see Bill and Anita, as always.  As usual, the time went way too quick and before we knew it, it was time to get to bed.  

I just checked the weather and it looks like there may be a storm on it's way to Northeastern Iowa in the morning.  I'll have to check it in the morning before I go so I won't get caught in the storm on the way to Mike Mueller's house in Minnesota tomorrow.

Here's to hoping I stay dry tomorrow...