Sunday, July 19, 2009

Saskatoon, SK to Kindersley, SK

Today I left Saskatoon, even though I had such a great time at the Taste of Saskatoon every night. It was still windy. I’m not sure if Canada ever has calm days with no wind.


Anyway, I headed out of town and rode for about an hour or so. I met Wayne who was riding the same direction as I was so we rode together for a while. At one of our stops, we talked a little bit and he asked where I was going. I told him Calgary. He asked if I was going to Edmonton first. When I told him no, he told me that I was on the way to Edmonton and that if I was going to go to Calgary, I should have taken Highway 7 out of Saskatoon instead of highway 16. I guess that’s the last time I follow the GPS directions without finding out general directions first!


When we got to North Battleford, he asked if I wanted to have a cup of coffee before I left. I said sure since it was still early and I probably wouldn’t make Calgary by now anyway. Wayne was a very interesting guy. I enjoyed talking to him. He was riding a Yamaha that he had just bought from a friend. He was on his way to Cut Knife to visit family.



Wayne


He got me going in the right direction and I continued to head on my way to Calgary while still fighting the wing, which got up to 30 MPH. It was really nasty. I was riding the whole way at an angle because the wind was so strong.


At about 9:30, I got to Kindersley and saw a McDonalds. I hadn’t eaten since before noon and I was getting pretty hungry. Besides, I needed a rest. My butt was starting to hurt from riding so much.


While I was eating, I started to talk to the guy sitting next to me. His name was also Wayne. He was from Kindersley, but worked construction in Calgary. He was telling me a lot of neat info about the area. He was a really interesting guy. He said he had a 2,400 acre farm, but sold it because it was getting to small to run. He said some people plow 30,000 acres on some farms. I can’t imagine doing that!



Wayne from Kindersley, SK


Right before I left, he told me about the regional park in town and he said I should stay there. I thought that since it was late out I would go there. It was really nice. Even though there was a lot of people there, it was really quiet.



Kindersley Regional Park


I think I’m going to try to make it into Calgary tomorrow.